Friday, July 20, 2007

I think I'll go to Boston

We're headed to Boston for a lengthy vacation. Should be fun driving all that way and crowding into too-small hotel rooms!

Yesterday at work, because we're going to Boston, Television Shooter (not her real name) was telling me about this song called “Boston" that's on the radio a lot. She had this really funny look on her face like, “This is a real cool song, but you’re old so you probably haven’t heard of it." Then she said, “I don't think you'd like it.” I said, “Boston, by Augustana?” Then she got an even funnier look on her face like, “How does an old guy like you know about a cool song like that?”

Then I asked her, “That's that song that has that lyric, ‘No one knows my name,’ right?” She said, “Yessss…” with some hesitation. “So, TV, can you tell me what television show the lyric is referencing,” which is a question I thought was so obvious anyone would know the answer. She looked at me this time like, “What are you talking about now, old man?”

I said, “So you think I’m too old to know a song like Boston, but it turns out you’re too young to even know that the lyric of the song is an ironic reference to the TV show, ‘Cheers,’ which is set in Boston where everybody knows your name.” I found that hilarious and had a good laugh at her expense. Or maybe I just made a jackass of myself.

To be fair, though, TV is familiar with my preference for exotica and lounge music, so I understand the confusion. But my tastes are certainly not limited to that.

We're spending the day here at home getting ready. Maybe I'll send a blog update from Faneuil Hall!

No comments: