Thursday, June 14, 2007

Can I be funny without anybody getting hurt?

Did you watch last night's episode of "Last Comic Standing?" I'd never seen it before but the season premiere was on while I was folding laundry. I got some good laughs out of it, but when the funniest comic is a guy in a gorilla suit, I just don't think it bodes well for the show. What the show didn't do is demonstrate how really hard stand up comedy is. I haven't done it for almost six years now - the reason being that on September 5, 2001, I made my triumphant return to the stand up microphone and then the following Tuesday it was 9/11 and I totally lost my sense of humor for a few years.

I find that as a grown up, events just seem to constantly transpire against my attempts to entertain. Having our first baby really killed my desire to make people laugh - I was just too scared and freaked out. Then, when I finally got the drive back, Boom (no pun intended), 9/11.

So, I'm thinking I'll try blogging. It strikes me as a healthy lunchtime activity. I can't promise to be funny, or even mildly interesting. We'll just have to wait and see. Gadz, I hope trying to be creative again doesn't bring about some sort of horrific natural disaster!

No comments: