Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Plus WHAT??

Yesterday I had to drive to Southern Maryland on business. I got a little sleepy so I stopped at a gas station to pick up a Diet Pepsi. All they had was Coke, which is usually an acceptable alternative to the much superior Pepsi.

I noticed through the glass door of the cooler something I’d never seen before. It was a soda bottle with a pale blue cap and label that said, “Diet Coke Plus – with Vitamins and Minerals.”

“Gosh,” I thought, taking the bait hook, line and sinker, “it’s healthy!”

Well, given the fact that the bottle looks like a bottle of medicine, I shouldn't have been surprised to find out it tasted like someone had dissolved chalk in my cola.

So I looked at the label to see what I was drinking. After caffeine, there were a few vitamins listed: zinc gluconate, niacinamide (vitamin B3), pyridoxine hydrochloride (B6), cyanocobalamin (B12). I’m sorry but this is sounding more like something I’d bleach my hair with, rather than drink.

Then I saw that it has aspartame in it as a sweetener, and I did a little Google Search – which is different from Research I admit – and found out that all this low carb stuff I've been eating has been setting me up for a nasty case of lymphoma and brain tumors in a few years. Suddenly, I'm thinking that sugar is a heck of a lot healthier than Diet Coke - or even Diet Pepsi - no matter how many vitamins they add!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wes, you have no hair to bleach.